Tuesday, January 20, 2009

New Doctor

So everyone is sick in our house. I think I have a stomach bug, Barry has a stuffy head and bad cough, baby has a stuffy/runny nose. I made it through most of work...right before Children's group I started feeling like I was going to throw up...luckily most of the kids didn't come and a coworker who does Children's group with me, stayed and watched the one kid that showed. I'm hungry but it hurts when I eat...my intestines feel like they are twisted.

Adrian went to a new doctor this morning (probably how I got sick) because we haven't been in awhile...er...since he was 2 & 1/2 months old. His new doctor is Dr. Craig Widness at Med Peds. He weighs 19 lbs which is the 40th percentile, is 28.75" long which is the 70th percentile, and has a 17.5" head circumference which puts him at 30th percentile for head growth. He also has a slight heart murmer which is hereditary on Barry's side. The doctor is not worried and says he will just keep a watch on it. He said that sometimes the heart and body grow at different rates since babies grow so fast. Barry's went away but his brother's didn't (well maybe it has now).
Doctors are all the same. I let him know up front how bad I am about going to doctors and how I am wary of shots, medicine, etc. He listened and gave his opinion and stated that I had a choice. Adrian got his second round of shots: 2 shots-all combos of shots. He did great! He only cried when he was getting them but settled right down when I picked him up. He was a little fussy today for G'ma and G'pa but got tylenol for pain and lots of attention. He has not had a flu shot...dr. said that he's only seen 1 case so far all season but last 2 years were bad. Any time I've gotten the flu shot, I've also gotten the flu. Anyways....next appt is in 6 weeks so he can get caught up on his immunizations. I guess we don't live in a bubble and I can't treat him like we do.

Adrian is consistently saying "mamamama" and "mababamaba". He also says "dadada" sometimes. FYI: this is called cannonical babbling and C-V (consonant-vowel babble). Next will be C-V-C and V-C-V babbling. I think the way children acquire language, speech, and communication is amazing. We are working on sign language with him still: eat, water, please, thank you, milk, and whatever else we think of. We should be more consistent but it's hard when we're so busy. Adrian is moving across the floor by scooting on his tummy, pulling with his arms, and pushing with his toes. He will soon be more efficient at moving. He can move from sitting to laying, laying to sitting, rolling both ways, sitting to pulling up to standing, he has also been seen 'cruising' from one end of the couch to the other. He can get into crawling position but just rocks until he falls on his tummy. He may not do the traditional 'crawl'. When we practice with him, he just wants to crawl on his feet and hands like a chimpanzee. He loves playing with his toys, playing peek-a-boo, chewing on everything especially bottles of lotion or tubes of diaper creme and phones or remotes.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you are all sick. We had a bit of that here but luckily I got the flu shot and it actually worked (which is a change from getting really sick every year). Conor had some chest congestion but it cleared up really quickly. It's amazing how fast the kids grow. Conor started crawling a little but now all he wants to do is climb and stand up and has little interest in crawling. He's going to be a handful :-) Can't wait until our little guys can meet one day. Hope you get better soon :-)

    ReplyDelete