Friday, October 14, 2011

Labor and Delivery

Went to hospital around 3pm on 9/22. Checked in and Audra showed up. We ordered dinner from Obee's! Yummy Turkey and Swiss on Rye. Iced tea. Induced at 6pm with Cook Cervical Ripening Balloon. Slept from 11p to 1am. Balloons fell out on their own at around 1am. Was 4.5 cm dilated and 80%. At 4am was 6.5 cm and 80%. At around 4am nurses and doctors rushed in...the baby had moved and they had lost his heart beat on the monitor. I could feel him moving. They gave me a shot of Terbutaline to stop labor temoporarily and hooked up the IV and turned on all the lights. They found his heartbeat on the ultrasound. Labor started back up again in 20 minutes. They had picked up my heartbeat around 60-85bpm instead of his around 120-160bpm. Got in hot bath around 6am. I was eating the entire time to keep up energy. Jello, chicken broth, energy bar, apple juice, water, ice chips, more jello and crackers. I was starving the entire time. Contractions were 2-4 minutes apart entire labor. Did get harder because I was so tired. Horrible back pain because he was 'sunnyside up' where his head scraped my tailbone the whole time. I slept between contractions and they would come on suddenly and wake me up. No pain meds. Stuck at 9cm and 90% for four hours from 9-11:59am. Was pushing anyway. Finally got past it and he was born...a little blue but started crying right away. He scored 8 at 1min and 9 at 5min on Apgar Score. Born on 9/23 after 18 hours of labor at 11:59am. He was tiny: 5lbs 15oz. 19.5 in long. I got to hold him for awhile. I tore 1 degree and got a few stitches. Got pitocin to help contract uterus because I was so tired, and so were my muscles that I kept bleeding and getting blood clots. A local for the stiches and some IBU for the rest of the hospital stay. After stitches, got to hold and feed him right away. He figured out nursing right away. We ordered lunch, got dressed in new gown, and packed up and got wheeled to our Women's care room. Adrian had Grnadma and Grandpa sleep over at his house the night before. Julie brought Adrian by to meet his little brother around 3pm. He was so excited and just asked 'where's my baby?'. He held him and kissed him and showed him off to his cousins. He was very excited!!! So loving!!! Then he got to go to spend the night (his first sleepover) at Cavyn's house. You never get real sleep in the hospital...although I did try to sleep more than I did with Adrian. I was so excited with Adrian that I didn't want to sleep. I figured I better get some sleep though. We were awake for over 24 hours before we got any sleep so it was much needed. Barry stayed on the window cot and snored through a couple of nurses visits. I thoroughly enjoyed the 3 prepared meals each day. We ordered our steak and lobster dinner for lunch on 9/24 as Barry was planning on going home with Adrian if Kaili and I didn't get to leave that day. We ended up going home around 8:30 on 9/24. Barry went with Adrian around 3pm to go celebrate with icecream and then they went home to clean up and organize for baby. We weren't quite expecting him home this soon although thankfully I kept worrying he would come early and had gotten his room pretty much set up...at last all the baby items unpacked, and the clothes washed and bought some diapers. Then they came to pick up mom and Kaili from the hospital. We made a quick stop at sunflower market and then went home.

No comments:

Post a Comment