Friday, November 11, 2011

7 weeks...and so it begins

How do I protect little sibling from big sibling? Intentional or not? In retaliation or not?
How do I teach them to be safe with one another? And that there job as brother's is to keep each other safe?

Adrian accidentally dropped a toy that swiped Kaili's face, causing him to cry hysterically, despite a lack of any mark. He must have been frightened and surprised by it. Adrian kissed him after prompting some empathy and remorse from him. He gets really quiet/non responsive when he feels bad about something, which he did.

I guess I just keep reminding him of his job as a big brother to keep his little brother safe. And to evoke empathy...humans who are such social creatures may not be so empathetic without learning from mistakes and pressure to conform. I wonder if children would be empathetic without learning but I fear not as humans are cruel creatures that put themselves first, starting at a young age. Perhaps that is what is wrong with the world...there is a fear of parents to make their children empathetic that it may crush their independence or spirit. I hope I'm mostly wrong. The root of the problems in this world is the seperation of families, clans, small societies and tight knit cultural groups that ensured that each of their members was cared for and raised to the same standard. That is 'no child left behind', and near impossible in today's society for most. How then in this disassembled society do I raise a good, empathetic, caring child? Even my own support group that helps me raise my chilodren has collected from each a different generational group of support and therefore are without a unity of ideals and practices.

7 weeks old
Kaili weighs over 8 lbs now. I no longer go to weekly weight checks as he is consistently gaining weight, and is growing rolls!! Kaili smiled at me last  Monday over and over and has done it about once a day so far. Yay!!! He's  also been a little more vocal...fussy with gas, cooing when content or when talking with him, he squealed today while sitting in his vibrating bouncy seat, and I can tell the difference between his angry/hurt/scared cry and his fussy/I'm all alone/I'm gassy cry.
Overall a good baby. Loves to be held and near his mommy and daddy. Sleeps well when close to a body. Sleeps better though on his own in his little bassinet. Slept once in his crib for over 10 minutes, over an hour actually. I should probably start conditioning him to sleeping in his crib but tend to place him in his swing to sleep during the day instead, and in bed at night with us.


Adrian has been getting better at numbers and counting. He knows about 'zero' now.
He has been getting better about spelling hiis name and recognizing lower case letters of his name. He is great at his ABC's except for I gets confused with T, and he sometimes forgets occasional letters.
We have a new math book for pre-k. He works hard at his preschool workbook. Our sticker chart has 'got dressed by myself' 'practiced preschool skills' 'wrote name' listened to mommy/daddy' and 'picked up my toys'.
So far so good!
Jealousy issues continue. Of course. Cannot leave him alone in the room with the baby as he tends to get close and poke at his face, put things in his face, ad being 3 not be fully ware of his personal space and boundaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment